Aug 3, 2008

Just Seen: Batman Begins


Yes, in the wake of Batman mania, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I've only just seen Batman Begins. And not only that - this is the first Batman movie I've ever seen! The first franchise just seemed very stupid and childish to me. I once caught a part of the one with Uma Thurman and Arnold Schwarzenegger, and it was so painfully bad, I think I must've spent half of those twenty minutes with my head between my knees! My husband, on the other hand, is pretty keen on Batman (I hesitate calling him a fan, because he's just NOT the kind of person who'd be fanatical about anything). So, long story short: I'd heard that the new franchise is actually quite good, I like Nolan and Bale, and hubby wanted me to go to the cinema with him to see The Dark Knight, so I figured i should see Begins first.
Now, you might remember that, when I saw the Bourne trilogy I said something to the extent of "I really don't like action movies, but this is good stuff". Well, I've discovered that I've been deluded all this time. It's not me, it's Hollywood! I now see that I do like action movies, only, most action movies are crap! When I finished Batman Begins, I actually felt a hunger for another one! I think that, had it not been the middle of the night, I would've gone to see The Dark Knight straight away! Trust me, all this was a revelation for me: Terminator 2: Judgment Day is not the only quality action movie?? Really? Wow!
So, if an action movie gets a decent script, a talented cast and a director who's not a total idiot, you'll, more likely than not, get a good piece of cinema. It's as simple as that. The same as with any other genre.
Luckily, Batman Begins has all of the above. Nolan has managed to create the perfect dark atmosphere. Christian Bale is one of the most talented actors of today. Seriously, that man is SO good, I'm sure he found the role of Batman a piece of cake (with all due respect, it's not the most complex role in the world, is it?), and the rest of the cast is not bad either (I especially enjoyed Cillian Murphy's performance as Dr. Crane).
I found that the two story arcs were well balanced and blended, and both were quite interesting. I did consider the last half hour of constant fighting, chases, explosions etc were slightly boring, but I suspect that, for true action movie aficionados that was actually the heart of the film. So, I guess there's something for everyone in it. I'm glad to see that it's still possible to make such a big budget flick without ruining it.
My verdict: 8/10.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

raheel said...

i love batman movies