Jul 21, 2008

Just Seen: Evening


... and am wondering: WHY?? Why did people spend time and money to make this?? And, more importantly, why did I spend two hours of my life watching it (well, okay, not really two hours... Fast forward is a great option)?
Basically, this is a drama about a woman on her deathbed, remembering her youth, and about her two daughters struggling with their own problems and differences. Now this sounds exactly like my kind of thing. I like stories about women. I like stories about wasted lives and wrong choices. I like that kind of Mrs Dalloway thing.
Well, let me tell you - this is not Mrs Dalloway...
I have just one word: soppy soppy soppy!
I am utterly amazed at the number of brilliant actors (well, actresses) in this mess. You've got Vanessa Redgrave, Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, Toni Collette, Claire Danes... But what you don't have is a decent script and a director who has a clue about what he's doing. I'm assuming that, since this was based on a book, it must be a very good one. That's the only reason I can think of that the film got made and all these people participated. The story is a complete cliche, and the characters are just totally... flat. You don't give a toss about what happens to them, who lives or dies, who loves who, who's wasted their lives or not...
Oh, and one more thing... The male lead, the heartthrob, the ideal man is played by Patrick Wilson. Patrick Wilson is, I grant you, very cute, but ever since I saw him in Hard Candy (now that's a film!) I find him a bit creepy. It's awkward watching a romantic love scene and wondering whether the hero has a bit of a maniacal twinkle in his eyes...
(p.s. The picture I posted is small on purpose. Trust me, you don't wanna be able to read the tagline!)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: