Jun 21, 2008

Try Seventeen



I'll let you in on a little secret. A sorta embarrassing secret. I'll be 27 in about a week, and I'm still a sucker for coming of age movies. There. I've said it. I'm a 27-year-old who still feels like a teenager.
So, is it any wonder that last night I saw (and liked)a film called Try Seventeen - where the number refers to the age of the main protagonist? The 17-year-old Jones is played by Elijah Wood (of the LOTR fame), and this is the storyline: Jones moves to a town where he is supposed to go to college, but drops out on the first day, rents an apartment and spends his time trying to befriend the other tenants and writing letters to his unknown dad. Mandy Moore and Franka Potente (a German native who you might know from the Bourne movies, or the German Run, Lola, Run) play the two female leads: a manipulative aspiring actress, and a strange, recluse photographer.
So, what did I think of it? I thought that Elijah was at times too dorky to be likable, but was, on the whole, passable. The story was sweet, though cliched; but pay no notice, I say that for every movie I see. After all, all the stories have already been told. It reminded me a bit of Igby Goes Down, although this is much, much lighter and less kooky.
I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10, which, in my eyes is a recommendation.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: