Jun 17, 2008

Just Seen: Transamerica


Actually, I saw this not half an hour ago, so it's still maybe even too fresh in my mind to make a coherent comment. It was directed and written by a guy named Duncan Tucker, whom, I must admit, I've never heard of before.
Felicity Huffman plays a male to female transsexual (Bree) who is only days away from her sex change operation when she gets an unexpected phone call from the juvenile delinquent center in NYC. She finds out that she has a 17-year-old son from a long forgotten straight relationship, and that he is currently under custody for hustling and substance abuse. Bree is reluctant to deal with the situation and wishes to just forget about the whole thing, but her therapist refuses to let her go through with the operation unless she goes to bail the boy out of jail. And then all the cliches of a classic road movie ensue.
Having said that, I must say I rather enjoy the cliches of road movies.

Felicity Huffman was excellent. I speak without the bias a Desperate Housewives fan would have, cause I'm not one. Having never seen her in a single episode, nor, for that matter, in anything else, I really didn't know what to expect from her, but I must say I was more than pleasantly surprised. First of all, and I don't mean to be rude, but, you know... She's not a very attractive woman, and her features are a bit masculine, so physically she fit the part very well. But what I really loved about her performance was how she managed to overemphasize the femininity slightly, like a man would, and, most of all, the constant sense of restraint seen in her every move and word, and even the very posture of her body.
All in all, the film, although more than a little bit predictable, is still worth seeing. It doesn't cop out with too sugary of an ending... I couldn't yet give a mark out of ten, but I would recommend it for a light cocktail of comedy and drama, a few laughs, and some sincere emotion.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: