Jun 19, 2008

Californication

Californication
I don't watch TV that much, but every once in a while a TV show comes along that I get completely addicted to, and I end up watching all of the episodes in two days. Well, I saw all episodes of Californication in a single afternoon. Yeah, it's that good. "I'm just going to see the first episode to see whether it's any good, and then I'm gonna clean the house." As if.
So, what is it about? David Duchovny plays Hank Moody, an accomplished writer whose life sucks: his partner has left him (and taken their daughter with her), he is facing a writer's block, and his best novel has been made into a corny romcom. His way out? Having as much sex as possible, usually in a drunken stupor. Apparently, the character of Hank is based on Bukowski (Hank Kinaski, anyone?), which might be a tad pretentious. Yes, I like the show, but it is, as hard as it tries, still too sugary and nowhere near the rawness and honesty of good old Buk. But never mind that, it's still better than the other stuff on TV. The script is good, quite cynical and bittersweet at times, and David Duchovny is perfect for the role - wry, older than you remember him, but still as charming.
I highly recommend this, but beware: it is at times obscene, so if you are easily offended, it might not be the show for you. If you're looking for something clean and absolutely pc - you might wanna give it a miss. If you're just looking for fun, make sure you see it! And then join me to speculate about what debauchery awaits Hank in season 2.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

cody said...

I am completely baffled that Duchovny is supposed to play any character based on Bukowski. Weird.